The upgrade will make the station fully accessible with more capacity and better facilities for passengers.
On 25th August 2023 Southwark Council formally issued Planning Permission Consent for the proposed scheme. This joins the Listed Building Consent that was secured in September 2022, for the chosen option which is shown below.
In June 2020, we received £1m from the Department for Transport to develop designs to improve the station for passengers.
Currently, Peckham Rye is the busiest interchange station in the entire country without step free access to platforms or accessible facilities for passengers.
The station is also not designed for the current number of passengers using it today. Platforms, passageway and gate lines are too narrow, leading to overcrowding at peaks times.
We have submitted plans which aim to:
- Provide new lifts to all platforms and accessible toilets
- Wider platforms, larger passageways, new lifts and staircases
- Larger gate lines and entrances
- Improved integration with the surrounding public realm, including better access into the station
- New accessible toilets
- New lifts at the station, making all platforms accessible for parents with buggies, people with shopping and those with mobility issues
Increased train and passenger capacity
- Wider platforms, larger passageways, lifts, new staircases, larger gate lines and entrances would increase capacity for passengers and allow more trains to stop at the station in the future.
Improved integration with local public realm
- The design carefully considers how the station should best integrate with the surrounding public realm, particularly the new Station Square, providing better access into the station.
Design public workshops and meetings
You can read more about the history of Peckham Rye Station by downloading the “Peckham Rye Station Chronology Presentation” pdf (15Mb).
Focus group meetings
Focus Group documents
The project has secured some additional funding from the Department for Transport to produce a proposal for the next Detailed Design stage.
We expect to submit our proposal for this next stage early in 2024. Should funding be awarded, the project aspires to complete Detailed Design in early 2025. Once this stage is complete, the project would have to make a final bid for the Construction stage, which we aspire to begin in 2026.
Join the mailing list and more information
To join the mailing list for updates and information about public meetings, please email NRSouthernProjects@networkrail.co.uk and ask to join the mailing list for the Peckham Rye Station upgrade project.