On 7th March 2022, we submitted Planning Permission and Listed Building Consent applications to upgrade Peckham Rye station to make it fully accessible with more capacity and better facilities for passengers.
In June 2020, we received £1m from the Department for Transport to develop designs to improve the station for passengers.
Currently, Peckham Rye is the busiest interchange station in the entire country without step free access to platforms or accessible facilities for passengers.
The station is also not designed for the current number of passengers using it today. Platforms, passageway and gate lines are too narrow, leading to overcrowding at peaks times.
We have submitted plans which aim to:
- Provide new lifts to all platforms and accessible toilets
- Wider platforms, larger passageways, new lifts and staircases
- Larger gate lines and entrances
- Improved integration with the surrounding public realm, including better access into the station
- New accessible toilets
- New lifts at the station, making all platforms accessible for parents with buggies, people with shopping and those with mobility issues
Increased train and passenger capacity
- Wider platforms, larger passageways, lifts, new staircases, larger gate lines and entrances would increase capacity for passengers and allow more trains to stop at the station in the future.
Improved integration with local public realm
- The design carefully considers how the station should best integrate with the surrounding public realm, particularly the new Station Square, providing better access into the station.
Design public workshops and meetings
You can read more about the history of Peckham Rye Station by downloading the “Peckham Rye Station Chronology Presentation” pdf (15Mb).
Focus group meetings
Focus Group documents
Following the views of stakeholders and local people, the project has chosen the single ‘Partial’ option and has now submitted applications for Planning Permission and Listed Building Consent to Southwark Council.
Should the planning application be approved, the project aims to make a funding request to government in Summer 2022 to permit delivery of the chosen ‘Partial’ design.
Join the mailing list and more information
To join the mailing list for updates and information about public meetings, please email NRSouthernProjects@networkrail.co.uk and ask to join the mailing list for the Peckham Rye Station upgrade project.