For the first time in over 50 years, Phase 2 will create direct connections between Oxford and Bletchley/Milton Keynes
This project will link communities across the area, bringing faster journey times and easing pressure on local roads.
To deliver East West Rail Phase 2, the EWR Alliance was established in 2015 and consists of four partners: Atkins, Laing O’Rourke, Network Rail and VolkerRail.
What are we doing?
Time lapse video below shows the rebuilding of sections of Bletchley flyover. Sections of the flyover were demolished and removed last year and this footage shows the first part of the re-build over the west Coast Main Line.
Our plans include:
- Improving stations and viaducts at Bletchley, Winslow.
- Making railway crossings safer by replacing structures and diverting or closing highway, foot and field crossings
- Upgrading track, including doubling track and upgrading infrastructure between Bicester and Bletchley
- Installing new and upgraded signalling and associated cabling
- Establishing Environmental Compensation Sites (ECS) to offset the ecological impacts of constructing the project
- Clearing overgrown vegetation, including removing overgrown vegetation predominantly along the railway corridor
- Constructing and restoring structures, including a new station at Winslow, new high-level platforms at Bletchley station, refurbishments, reconstruction and general repairs to existing infrastructure.
East West Rail Phase 2 will provide the first direct rail link in more than 50 years between Oxford and Bletchley/Milton Keynes, transforming connectivity and journey times for people and businesses across the heart of the country.
- Boost economic growth and create opportunities for new housing and jobs
- Encourage people out of cars and onto public transport
- Provide a greener low carbon transport system.
When is the work taking place?
Main construction work started in Spring 2020 and is due for completion in Spring 2024.
What disruption this work may cause for the community?
Transport and Works Act Order (TWAO)
The Transport and Works Act Order (TWAO) has been approved by the Secretary of State for Transport and came into force on 25 February 2020, which allowed the EWR Alliance to start main construction works.
If you have any questions you can email us email@example.com or call our 24-hour National Helpline on 03457 11 41 41.