A step by step view of what to expect during the interview process and our commitments to you.
We aim to recruit the right people into the right jobs at the right time
Network Rail aims to be one of Britain’s best employers and is dedicated to attract, develop and retain committed people. We want to lead the way in making the railway industry more diverse and inclusive by ensuring our recruitment process is fair, consistent and ethical and to demonstrate through our candidate journey, Network Rail is a great place to work.
Disability Confident Leader
Network Rail is accredited as a Disability Confident Leader, sponsored by the Department for Work and Pensions. Where a disabled applicant meets the essential criteria for any or our vacancies, they will be guaranteed an interview.
We use a standard recruitment process for all our vacancies
Our recruitment process involves:
We comply with all obligations under the General Data Protection Regulations (GDPR) and your details will be treated as confidential throughout the recruitment process. We make every effort to eliminate discrimination, direct and indirect, from our recruitment and selection process. Read more about our diversity and inclusion policy.
We advertise all jobs via the vacancies section of this website. Depending on the job, you maybe asked to complete an application or to submit a CV. Instructions on how to apply for a job will be on the advertisement.
If you are selected for interview, we will contact you to arrange the details of the interview. If you are not selected for an interview, you will receive a notification via email.
During the interview, you will be asked a series of questions which are designed for the role you have applied for. These questions are criteria-based and will help assess your skills, behaviours and capabilities. You will be also asked a safety question, as keeping people safe on the railway is at the heart of everything we do. Click on our Safety Vision and Lifesaving Rules to familiarise yourself with our safety vision.
If required for the job, we may ask you to attend an assessment. We tailor our assessment methods to each role and may use self-assessment tests, verbal and numerical tests and psychometric tests.
If you are offered a job, you will receive an offer detailing the salary, benefits and location. All offers of employment are conditional upon satisfactory completion of Government Standard Pre-Employment Screening checks.
Our pre-employment checks include:
- Right to work and identity check.
- Medical assessment.
- Employment/ education history verification for the last three years.
- Visa application: We sponsor under Tier 2 of the UK Immigration points-based system (PBS). If you require a visa to work in the UK or would like further information on the PBS visit the UK Border Agency website. We do not provide financial support for visa applications.
- Basic disclosure checks including: unspent criminal convictions (Disclosure and Barring Service) check. * This may include passing your personal information to a third party.
- Alcohol and drugs: You will be required to comply with our drugs and alcohol policy. Anyone who refuses to comply will not be considered for employment with Network Rail. People applying for safety-critical posts or jobs that require a Sentinel Competence Card are required to undergo a pre-appointment drugs and alcohol test. All other applicants are required to sign a statement to confirm that they understand the drugs and alcohol policy and intend to comply.
- Financial check (required if relevant to the role).
- Security vetting (required if relevant to the role).
- Academic certificates for any relevant qualifications required if relevant to the role).
*Note to third party agencies
Network Rail does not accept unsolicited CVs from recruiters or employment agencies. In the absence of a signed agreement, Network Rail will not consider or agree to payment of any referral compensation or recruiter fee. In the event a recruiter or agency submits a CV or candidate without a previously signed agreement, Network Rail reserves the right to hire those candidate(s) without any financial obligation to the recruiter or agency.
Please use our careers support request form if you have questions or support issues.