We’re making improvements on the line from Weymouth to Castle Cary to provide a more reliable railway
In February 2021, engineers will begin a number of maintenance tasks, including stabilising a railway cutting and refurbishing track at Yeovil Pen Mill station.
February 2021 line closure
Between Monday 15 and Friday 19 February 2021, the line between Dorchester West and Castle Cary will be closed for engineers to carry out the following work in the Yeovil Pen Mill area:
- Minor rescaling on a railway cutting and installation of new lineside fencing
- Replacing remote condition monitoring equipment, used to monitor the railway cutting
- Renewing sleepers at platform 1 of Yeovil Pen Mill station
- Structural examinations of a railway bridge crossing the River Yeo, near Yeovil Pen Mill station
- Drainage surveys and vegetation management in the Dorchester West area
Passengers should check the government’s latest guidance before travelling.
- Services between Bristol Temple Meads and Weymouth will start and terminate at Castle Cary, with rail replacement road services from Castle Cary to Weymouth
- Services to Yeovil Junction via Castle Cary will start and terminate at Castle Cary. Rail replacement road services will operate
- Services between Yeovil Pen Mill and Salisbury/London Waterloo will start and terminate at Yeovil Junction. Rail replacement road services will operate
Passengers are also advised to note a separate closure between Bournemouth and Weymouth on the weekend of Saturday 20 and Sunday 21 February. Please see the SWR website for more information.
You can also find out more information at the GWR website.
Further work will take place on the Bristol to Weymouth line, primarily in the Yeovil Pen Mill area, at a date still to be confirmed. This webpage will be updated with details when they become available.
Sign up for email updates
Sign-up with your email address to receive updates on the Heart of Wessex line upgrades and information on projects taking place across the Southern region.
Our privacy notice applies to the personal information that Network Rail collects about you, or that you provide to us. It explains how and why we use your personal information, who we disclose it to and how we protect your privacy.
For more information or to get in touch with us, please contact us by visiting our contact us page or by calling our 24-hour national helpline on 03457 11 41 41.