We’re upgrading the railway between Manchester and Sheffield to provide more reliable and faster journeys for passengers.
The project started in Spring 2021 and is due to be completed in Spring 2024.
What work is taking place?
The Hope Valley Railway Upgrade will remove several bottlenecks between Manchester and Sheffield to allow passenger trains to overtake slower freight trains along the line.
The main improvements include:
- A new platform and accessible footbridge with lifts at Dore & Totley station
- A railway loop between Bamford and Hathersage
- A new overbridge at Hathersage West, replacing the current foot crossing to improve safety
- Signalling improvements along the line to improve reliability
- Platform extensions to allow for more carriages on services
How will this work affect me?
Our teams will always be mindful and considerate of residents living next to the upgrade work. More information can be found here.
Railway line closures
We will be required to close the railway line to complete work on the below dates:
- 22:00 Saturday 4 November – 02:00 Monday 6 November 2023
- 22:00 Saturday 11 November – 02:00 Monday 13 November 2023
- 00:30 Monday 25 December – 03:00 Wednesday 27 December 2023
- 00:15am Sunday 31 December – 15:30 Sunday 31 December 2023
- 23:00 Friday 19 January – 01:00 Monday 22 January 2024
- 23:00 Friday 26 January – 01:00 Monday 29 January 2024
- 23:30 Saturday 3 February – 01:00 Monday 5 February 2024
- 23:30 Saturday 10 February – 01:00 Monday 12 February 2024
- 23:00 Friday 15 March – 05:15 Monday 25 March 2024
Please visit National Rail for more information on changes to train journeys.
Dore & Totley station car park
On the below dates, we will need to temporarily close Dore & Totley station car park to facilitate work (dates subject to change as the project progresses):
- 2 November – 28 November 2023: some spaces closed
- 29 November 2023 – 10 January 2024: car park closed
- 11 January – 26 February 2024: some spaces closed
- 27 February – 5 April 2024: car park closed
- 6 April 2024 onwards: car park reopens
Why is the work needed?
The Hope Valley Railway Upgrade will remove several bottlenecks between Manchester and Sheffield to allow passenger trains to pass slower freight trains along the line.
Communication is very important to us and we will be writing to local residents with plenty of notice before work starts, as well as holding public engagement events throughout the project to keep the local community informed on its progress.
For regular updates on the main improvement work, you can also download the Hope Valley Railway Upgrade community engagement app, which will contain details of upcoming work activities, news, and initiatives and events for the local community.
The app is available to download for both Android and Apple devices. To download the app, simply scan the QR code or search ‘Hope Valley Railway Upgrade’ in Google Play for Android devices, or the App Store for Apple devices.
Passenger and Community FAQs
To view the frequently asked questions about the project, download our PDF.
For more information or to get in touch with us, please contact us by visiting our contact us page or by calling our 24-hour national helpline on 03457 11 41 41.