We’re doubling the size of Gatwick Airport station to improve passenger journey from the train to the plane
We are delivering a vital £150m upgrade to Gatwick Airport station to increase capacity, improve accessibility and transform the experience for more passengers, than ever before.
More than 21 million air travellers and passengers use the station every year, up from 14 million in 2010. Our upgrade plans will deliver a station that befits Gatwick’s status as a gateway to the country.
We are delivering the upgrade in partnership with funders and partners including the Department for Transport; Gatwick Airport Ltd and Coast to Capital Local Enterprise Partnership. Govia Thameslink Railway, the train company that operates Gatwick Express, Thameslink and Southern services will operate a dedicated timetable during the project.
- Eight new escalators, five new lifts and four new stairways will be installed to support passengers with reduced mobility, the elderly and those travelling with a pushchair or luggage.
- Platforms 5 and 6 will be widened to reduce crowding and improve accessibility
A better journey experience
- The rail station concourse will double in size to provide more space and better facilities for passengers.
- Connections to the airport terminals and passenger wayfinding will be upgraded to improve passenger experience
Improved train performance
- Widened platforms, new escalators, lifts and stairways will allow passengers to board and alight trains more quickly. This means trains spend less time on platforms, reducing delays and supporting a more reliable service.
- Stage 1: Platform 7 closed (May 2020 – Jan 2021)
- Stage 2: Platforms 5 & 6 closed (Jan 2021 – May 2022)
- Stage 3: Platform 3 & 4: lift and staircase are installed (Jan 2021 – Nov 2021)
- Stage 4: Concourse work begins (June 2021 – May 2022)
- Project completion: 2023
Train timetable changes from 17th May 2020
A dedicated timetable will keep trains and passengers moving while we deliver these vital works between Spring 2020 and 2023.
For more information visit:
Stay up to date
Sign-up with your email address to receive updates on the Gatwick Airport Station upgrade and information on projects taking place across the Southern region.
Our privacy notice applies to the personal information that Network Rail collects about you, or that you provide to us. It explains how and why we use your personal information, who we disclose it to and how we protect your privacy.