Better rail journeys across the north of England are coming – we're upgrading this key route, paving the way for more reliable journeys with more space for passengers
Updates:Train services have resumed
2. Blackpool North, Poulton-le-Flyde and Kirham & Wesham stations improvementsView here
Keeping you moving
Train services have resumed:
- Between Preston and Blackpool North initially with one train per hour allowing time for driver training on the route.
From Monday 16 April, Northern will operate one train per hour between Blackpool North and Manchester Airport – via Preston – and will continue to supplement this with two stopping and two express bus services every hour between Blackpool North and Preston. The hourly service between Blackpool South and Preston will continue to operate but with many services extended to operate to/from Colne.
Keeping you informed
Being a considerate neighbour
Some of the work required to electrify the railway can be disruptive to local residents and businesses.
We held information events at various locations throughout 2017 along the route, giving our neighbours the opportunity to meet our project team and to find out about the next phase of work. Events continued throughout December and into Spring 2018.
To keep the railway moving, we try to cause the least disruption to train services. And for safety reasons, we do most of the improvement work over night, or during carefully planned closures of the railway. Plus, we want to minimise the impact our work has on our neighbours. If we’re planning work close to your property we will write to you to let you know.
Disruptions may include:
- Noise from engineering trains and railway vehicles.
- Temporary flood lighting and head torches.
- Safety alarm sounds to indicate reversing vehicles.
- Engineering work including digging, moving railway stone and other heavy materials.
- Noise from installing piled foundations, for the masts and gantries that will carry electrified wires along the railway.
Most of the work to upgrade Blackpool’s railway has now been completed. Work to get the railway ready for electric trains will continue to take place during overnight shifts when trains aren’t running.
Download our leaflet to find out more.
If you have any questions about our Great North Rail Project please contact our 24-hour helpline on 03457 11 41 41