Works begin in Summer 2017 in Market Harborough on a multi-million pound scheme to deliver major improvements
Works will deliver not just a straighter rail line to allow non-stopping trains to travel faster between London and Sheffield, but also a new car park and an enhanced station for passengers.
This enhancement project is part of a wider Midland Main Line Upgrade Programme that will deliver capacity and journey time improvements, alongside electrification, to benefit passengers. The Market Harborough Line Speed Improvement Project is part of the £40 billion investment programme taking place across the UK rail network. This investment represents the largest modernisation of the railways since Victorian times and will provide reliable, efficient transport infrastructure for the future.
The Market Harborough scheme will deliver:
- improved safety – reducing the gap between platforms and trains, as well as removing the crossing over the railway line
- improved car parking and access with wider car park spaces
- longer platforms to accommodate 240m trains
- improved access for all – Construction of a footbridge and lifts across two platforms.
The construction works will begin in summer 2017 in the following phases:
Phase 1 - Construction of car park
Summer 2017 - Spring 2018
- Demolish Goods Shed
- Commence Car Park construction
- Opening of the new car park and access road to public
Phase 2 – Station and Line speed improvement work
Spring 2018 - Summer 2019
- Build new alignment in existing car park
- Build new platforms
- Build Access for All footbridge and lifts
Alongside our partners we aim to ensure our sites are managed responsibly and to minimise the impact of works on people living close to the railway. We make every effort to minimise unnecessary noise and brief construction teams on working responsibly in the local community.
Visit http://www.demographix.com/MarketHarboroughLSSI to give any feedback about our public information event.