Work is now well underway on the Market Harborough Line Speed Improvement programme.
The upgrade work being carried out in Market Harborough will not only deliver a straighter line - enabling a reduction in journey time for passengers travelling between London and Sheffield - but also improved facilities for station users.
This enhancement project is part of the wider Midland Main Line Upgrade – the largest programme of work on the line since it was completed in 1870. This investment represents the largest modernisation of the railways since Victorian times and will enable better, more comfortable and efficient journeys from 2020, with more seats and less crowding, supporting the growth of the regional economies, connecting people to more job, education and leisure opportunities.
The Market Harborough Line speed project will deliver:
- A line speed increase through Market Harborough enabling a reduction in journey time for passengers
- New longer platforms that improve access and reduce stepping distances onto trains whilst also catering for longer trains with more seats
- Station accessibility will be improved with a new footbridge featuring lifts, opening up travel opportunities for more passengers
- A new 300 space car park has already been constructed, providing step-free access to platforms for passengers arriving by car.
New car park
We completed a new 300 space car park on the east side of the station. Work to increase this in size to 500 spaces will start in the summer of 2019 once the new track has been installed and tied in to the existing lines, freeing up the required space.
Car park, Station and line speed improvement work
Autumn 2018 – December 2019
- Build new alignment in old car park on the western side of the station
- Build new 265m platform 1 and extend platform 2 to accommodate longer trains
- Build Access for All footbridge with lifts
- Complete addition of 200 new spaces in car park
We will continue to work at Market Harborough station to install the new platforms and new alignment of track and hoardings have recently been installed around the site for passenger safety. The majority of the work at the station is carried during normal working hours. However, on occasion we need access to the track and this means working at night time. This track upgrade work has been taking place for some months now and will continue for several more.
These night time activities include the construction of location cabinet bases and walkways, unloading/ loading of materials, tamping, cable running, track works, drainage works, signalling installation, walkouts and surveys. These activities require the use of rail plant, engineering trains, generators and task lighting.
The dates below apply to a six mile length of track stretching either side of the station:
|Date||Start time||Finish time|
|Sat 24 November - Sun 25 November||00:05||06:00|
|Sat 01 December - Sun 02 December||23:55||07:20|
|Tue 04 December - Sun 09 December||00:05||07:20|
|Sat 15 December - Sun 16 December||23:55||07:20|
|Sat 05 January - Sun 06 January||23:55||07:20|
|Sat 12 January - Sun 13 January||23:55||07:20|
|Tue 15 January - Sun 20 January||00:05||07:20|
|Sat 26 January - Sun 27 January||23:55||07:20|
Anyone wishing to contact us about the project can do so by calling our helpline on 0345 711 4141.