Working by the railway

Information for outside parties who carry out work on or near the railway

Managing risk to the network

If you own land next to ours and you’re planning on building facilities, transport or infrastructure (including bridges), or placing utility apparatus on or near to the rail network then we need to work together. Working by the railway can be a risk to our operations or our infrastructure; our operations can also affect your work.

Our Asset Protection project managers can advise on the potential impact of different kinds of work including construction, maintenance and work near level crossings. They can visit you on site and give advice at meetings or through correspondence.

Works activity in the street

Highways interface advisors work with our Asset Protection project managers to provide specialist advice. They deal with technical and administrative issues related to the New Roads and Street Works Act (NRSWA) 1991 and related legislation.

Their duties cover the Exchange of Works information and the provision and maintenance of information for the National Street Gazetteer. They also represent Network Rail on Highways Authorities and Utilities Committees (HAUCs) in England and Wales, and Roads Authorities and Utilities Committees (RAUCs) in Scotland.

All works notices under NRSWA are issued through EToN (Electronic Transfer of Notices) in England and Wales and the SRWR (Scottish Road Works Register) in Scotland.

Electromagnetic compatibility

The Electromagnetic Compatibility (EMC) Regulations 2006 impose legal obligations on all installers to ensure that the associated risks are taken into account by everyone concerned.

Licence-exempt wireless telegraphy equipment is radio apparatus (for example, Wi-Fi routers) that need to meet one of the appropriate UK Radio Interface Requirements, published and enforced by the Office of Communications (Ofcom). These requirements may impose limits to the level of radio frequency power and frequencies that can be used, and may restrict the type of antenna that can be installed.

To address any risk, we need to see proof that the installation of equipment is in line with the appropriate UK Radio Interface Requirement. To install or operate wireless telegraphy equipment on property leased by us to a train or freight operating company, you’ll need to approach them in the first instance.

Working by the High Speed 1 line

The High Speed 1 (HS1) railway is different from the rest of the network in that Network Rail (High Speed) operates and maintains it on behalf of HS1. They follow the Network Rail (High Speed 1) Outside Parties Team Charter. If you’re planning work near HS1, you’ll need to complete an infrastructure search request form. We can help by telling you about:

  • historic or as-built structures
  • HS1 property boundaries
  • any HS1 buried services in the area.

Our Outside Parties team is committed to giving advice and managing the impact from outside party works. See our Development handbook. If your business borders HS1, see our Working together leaflet and Working together poster.

HS1 Emergencies

T: Emmis 01233 739450 (our Outside Parties team does not deal with emergencies)

General HS1 outside party works enquiries

T: 08457 114141

General enquiries

Please complete a questionnaire to begin with. We try to respond within five working days but if you don’t hear from us, please contact your route Asset Protection project manager.

Advice or consultation under NRSWA, apparatus enquiries or plant information requests: Please contact your local Asset Protection project manager.

EMC risk: Please contact our EMC National specialist team.

Installing and operating wireless telegraphy equipment: Please contact our Commercial Property team.

Town and country planning, property sales, lettings and easement negotiations: Please contact our Commercial Property team.

Contact the Asset Protection team

Which activities interface with the network?

  • A utility company laying a pipeline under a railway line
  • Construction work on adjacent land or roads
  • Cables and bridges under or over the railway tracks
  • A jib of a crane reaching across our property
  • Hoardings around our land

These projects may not materially change the network but may have engineering and safety requirements and contractual engagements to deal with the different rules associated with such project interfaces.

Who are outside parties?

  • The Highways Agency
  • Local authorities
  • Utility companies
  • Consulting engineers
  • Property developers
  • Commercial enterprises
  • Adjacent landowners