We're modernising the Great Western route to bring passengers faster, more frequent and more reliable services. The project includes upgrading our infrastructure so that the route can be electrified
This page explains the work we'll be doing in the city of Bristol and when it's due to take place.
We are working between Bristol Temple Meads and Bristol Parkway and will keep lineside neighbours updated as the project progresses.
Filton Abbey Wood station
To carry out engineering work safely, we need to temporarily close the footpath that links the car park in Emma-Chris Way to the station footbridge from Sunday 7 May to Autumn 2017. Pedestrians will need to follow a signed diversion route along Nutfield Grove and through the grounds of Nutfield House to join the footbridge.
Please allow extra time – approximately ten minutes – to ensure you safely catch your train.
Line closures between Bristol Temple Meads and Bristol Parkway
The line between Bristol Parkway and Bristol Temple Meads will be closed on three consecutive Sundays during May.
Rail replacement bus services will be running from Patchway, Bristol Parkway and Bristol Temple Meads, also covering Stapleton Road and Lawrence Hill.
- Sunday 7 May: The line will be closed from 23:45 on Saturday 6 May until 04:45 on Monday 8 May
- Sunday 14 May: The line will be closed from 23:45 on Saturday 13 May until 04:45 on Monday 15 May
- Sunday 21 May: The line will be closed from 23:45 on Saturday 20 May until 04:45 on Monday 22 May.
Stapleton Road viaduct
We are carrying out work around the Stapleton road viaduct until November 2018.
Closures and diversions
The cycle path and footpath through Fox Park closed on 28 February and will remain closed until works are completed. A diversionary route via Stapleton Road is in place.
A short section of Stapleton Road (either side of the viaduct) will need to be closed at various intervals throughout the 18-month period of works. Most closures will be overnight between 10pm and 6am on weekend nights.
This work extends from the south of Bonnington Walk Bridge to Filton Abbey Wood station.
- Muller Road overbridge: Scaffolding and traffic management will remain in place until November 2017.
- Muller Road Road Rail Access Point: Parking restrictions are in place on Petherbridge Way. These restrictions will remain in place until early summer 2017.
Last updated 05 May 2017. This page will be updated regularly.