Image 1: Contractors working on the demolition of the western half of Splott Road bridge
Image 2: Crane in place ready for the demolition of Splott Road bridge
Image 3: Digger next to the railway track on the site of the demolished bridge
To electrify the South Wales Mainline, we have been carrying out essential work on the platforms at Newport station since 2016, and this is expected to continue throughout 2018. Passengers are reminded that platforms will remain open during our work.
Ongoing station work includes:
- preparing the platforms and canopies for posts and overhead electric wires (OLE)
- removal of the redundant footbridge over the platforms
- 75% of the canopy reductions and 90% of OLE foundations have been completed. The remaining canopy reductions and OLD foundations will be completed throughout 2018.
- upcoming work to the Newport Tunnels, west of the station, in 2018
- Tunnel Terrace footbridge reopened on 28 February 2018
- Hawse Lane and Green Lane road bridges are due to reopen in early 2018
- piling and post installation for OLE will continue through Newport and along the South Wales Mainline throughout 2018.
We have now completed our work to the bridges in Monmouthshire which required reconstruction. Our piling work and post installation work will continue through Monmouthshire in 2018.