Creating a vision for the future of Waverley station.
As a vibrant commuter station and a hub for tourists from across Britain, footfall at Edinburgh Waverley has more than doubled within the last ten years from 10 million to over 24 million, and estimates suggest that it will more than double again to over 49 million by 2048.
More passengers mean more demand on train services and more pressure on the supporting infrastructure to meet the needs of our customers.
What is the Waverley Masterplan?
Led in partnership by Network Rail and City of Edinburgh Council, the Waverley Masterplan will form a framework for the evolution of the station over the short, medium and long term. Crucially, the masterplan will consider the public areas immediately out with the station as well as the grounds of the facility itself. As a result, the masterplan will require the input of a diverse range of interested parties, stakeholders and railway industry professionals.
A team of experienced engineers, architects and urban planners, led by Edinburgh based consultants Arup, have analysed the usage patterns of the existing station and have proposed a range of interventions aimed at boosting the capacity of the station, improving accessibility and delivering a modern, vibrant station for Edinburgh.
The masterplan will need to answer some vital questions.
- How will Waverley cope with the predicted increase in passengers using the station and traversing the city centre?
- How will Waverley operate with the advent of new transportation trends and technology?
- How do we meet the current needs of passengers, businesses and local stakeholders while not impeding technological, environmental, social and economic change?
Of course, a key consideration for Network Rail must be how we improve the station for passengers and we’ll be opening the process to public input.
Waverley masterplan proposals (PDF)
This document helps to explain the work of the masterplan group and how we’ve arrived at the recommendations to date.
Following the completion of the consultation and public exhibition on 26 April, feedback is being considered and incorporated into further development work that will ultimately result in a published masterplan in the First Quarter 2020 . The plan will present a vision for the future of the station and will be used to phase future investments.
The Waverley Masterplan Consultation will:
- Begin a conversation with funding bodies, stakeholders and station neighbours.
- Work within the parameters of a wider city centre strategy.
- Deliver a masterplan which takes into account the forecast growth in rail passenger number.
- Review a number of options for the future development of the station.
- Offer a preferred option.
- Suggest options to raise funding for any proposed developments.
- Set out a ‘roadmap’ for approving and delivering station improvements.
The Waverley Masterplan will not:
- Specify additional rail capacity improvements or additional routes.
- Specify funding sources for future developments.
- Specify timescales for implementation of the masterplan.
For more information please call our 24-hr community relations helpline on 03457 11 41 41.
If you would like to participate in the consultation, you can do so via the consultation hub.