A project to lengthen platforms at Edinburgh Waverley for the introduction of new longer, faster, greener electric trains between Edinburgh and Glasgow and on the East Coast main line.
As part of our rail upgrade plan, and in order to facilitate the introduction of longer trains and to prepare for projected future growth in demand for both track and capacity, a series of infrastructure works are being undertaken within and around Edinburgh Waverley.
We are extending platforms at Edinburgh Waverley to accommodate longer trains being introduced on both the Edinburgh to Glasgow via Falkirk (E&G) route and the East Coast Main Line (ECML).
The enhancements are being delivered as part of the Scottish Government’s Edinburgh Glasgow Improvement Programme (EGIP) and the Department for Transport-funded Intercity Express Programme (IEP).
- A number of existing platforms are being extended (platforms 5, 6 and 12) creating new long length platforms
- A crossover – a piece of track which enables trains to move from one track to another – will be created to improve flexibility to platforms 10/11
- The extension of platform 12 required the repositioning of the escalators on the South West corner of the concourse.
- The demolition of the buildings on platform 11 enabled the extension of platform 12 and additionally serves to open up a separate area of concourse for pedestrian circulation
An artist impression of the platforms and escalators
What it delivers
- This project is about creating platforms of suitable length to facilitate the safe operation of longer trains, improving the capacity of the route as well as journey times.
- Extensions to platforms 5 & 6 are required to accommodate 10-car IEP services on East Coast routes (extended to 275m).
- Extension to platform 12 is required to accommodate 8 car services on Edinburgh to Glasgow line via Falkirk High (extended to 204m).
- In addition to the platform extensions, we are undertaking work on the tracks to increase flexibility on approaches to the station from the east.
- We are installing a crossover between platforms 10 and 11 which also improves operational flexibility at the station.
Preparation works commence ahead of excavation for platform 12
Excavation for platform 12 extension begins
Excavation for platforms 5/6 begins
Completion of platform 12 and installation of crossover on Platform 10/11
Completion of platforms 5/6
Commissioning of platform 10/11 crossover
If you have any questions or concerns regarding the project please call our 24-hr community relations helpline on 03457 11 41 41.