A project to lengthen platforms at Edinburgh Waverley for the introduction of new longer, faster, greener electric trains between Edinburgh and Glasgow and on the East Coast main line.
As part of our rail upgrade plan, and in order to facilitate the introduction of longer trains and to prepare for projected future growth in demand for both track and capacity, a series of infrastructure works will be required within and around Edinburgh Waverley.
We need to extend platforms at Edinburgh Waverley to accommodate longer trains being introduced on both the Edinburgh to Glasgow via Falkirk (E&G) route and the East Coast Main Line (ECML).
The enhancements are being delivered as part of the Scottish Government’s Edinburgh Glasgow Improvement Programme (EGIP) and the Department for Transport-funded Intercity Express Programme (IEP).
- A number of existing platforms will be extended (platforms 5, 6 and 12) creating new long length platforms.
- A crossover – a piece of track which enables trains to move from one track to another – will be created to improve flexibility to platforms 10/11.
- The extension of platform 12 will require the repositioning of the escalators on the South West corner of the concourse.
- The demolition of the buildings on platform 11 to enable the extension of platform 12 and additionally serves to open up a separate area of concourse for pedestrian circulation.
An artist impression of the platforms and escalators
What it delivers
- This project is about creating platforms of suitable length to facilitate the safe operation of longer trains, improving the capacity of the route as well as journey times.
- Extensions to platforms 5 and 6 are required to accommodate 10-car IEP services on East Coast routes (extended to 275m).
- Extension to platform 12 is required to accommodate 8 car services on Edinburgh to Glasgow line via Falkirk High (extended to 204m).
- In addition to the platform extensions, we will undertake work on the tracks to increase flexibility on approaches to the station from the east.
- We are installing a crossover between platforms 10 and 11 which also improves operational flexibility at the station.