We will be carrying out essential works on the Heart of Wessex line during spring 2020 to improve journeys between Castle Cary and Weymouth.
To do this we will close the line between Yeovil Pen Mill and Weymouth from Saturday 15 February to Friday 21 February 2020. Maintenance work will also be carried out between Castle Cary and Weymouth across several weekends from January to April.
What the work will involve
Between January and April 2020 we will be carrying out:
- Line refurbishment, sleeper replacement and tunnel strengthening works between Dorchester West and Maiden Newton.
- Bridge steelwork repairs and structure works between Castle Cary and Yeovil Pen Mill.
- Replacement of the deck at Yetminster river bridge, providing a new surface for track.
- Track renewals between Chetnole and Weymouth.
A line closure will take place between Saturday 15 February and Friday 21 February 2020 whilst the deck of Yetminster river bridge, the surface on which the bridge’s track sits, is replaced. The new deck and a length of renewed track will allow trains to run faster, meaning quicker journeys on the Heart of Wessex line.
There will also be four further weekends of engineering work between January and April:
- Saturday 25 – Sunday 26 January – the line between Yeovil Pen Mill and Dorchester West will be closed for line refurbishment work at Poundbury tunnel and Bradford Peverell.
- Saturday 1 February – the line between Yeovil Pen Mill and Dorchester West will be closed for further works at Poundbury tunnel and Bradford Peverell plus preparatory work at Yetminster.
- Sunday 2 February – the line between Castle Cary and Dorchester West will be closed for structure work and steelwork repairs at Hummer Road overline bridge.
- Saturday 29 February – Sunday 1 March – the line between Yeovil Pen Mill and Dorchester West will be closed whilst follow up work is carried out at Yetminster river bridge.
- Saturday 28 March – Sunday 29 March – the line between Yeovil Pen Mill and Weymouth will be closed for track renewals at Chetnole and between Dorchester West and Weymouth.
Throughout our improvement work buses will replace services on the Heart of Wessex line. Some journeys will be significantly longer.
Saturday 15 to Friday 21 February 2020 inclusive
South Western Railway services will not run between Yeovil Junction and Weymouth, buses will replace trains. Great Western Railway services will start and terminate at Yeovil Pen Mill. Replacement buses will run between:
- Yeovil Pen Mill and Weymouth (calling at Dorchester West only) – approx. 60 minutes
- Yeovil Pen Mill and Weymouth (calling all stations) – approx. 120 minutes
Sign up for email updates
Sign-up with your email address to receive updates on the Heart of Wessex line upgrades and information on projects taking place across the Southern region.
Our privacy notice applies to the personal information that Network Rail collects about you, or that you provide to us. It explains how and why we use your personal information, who we disclose it to and how we protect your privacy.
For more information or to get in touch with us, please contact us by visiting our contact us page or by calling our 24-hour national helpline on 03457 11 41 41.