During the Christmas period we are renewing the track at Battersea Pier Junction to help improve reliability around the London Victoria station area which sees 240,000 passengers pass through every day.
The renewal is driven by the life expiry of the existing track and components, and is part of a £8.2m upgrade of this section of the railway. The improvement work will involve replacing old tracks, switches and crossing, removing ballast and replacing with the new track.
What will the work involve?
The improvement work is taking place where tracks meet along Sopwith Way close to Battersea Dogs Home.
The work will involve:
- Removing the old track and replacing with 1,300m of plain line track and 1,800m of conductor rail
- Renewal of 12 Switch and Crossing units
- Replacing 10 point machines and associated cabling and power supply
All of which will provide a renewed junction with an asset life of over 35 years.
The work will take place between:
Sunday 23 December 2018 – Tuesday 01 January 2019
What are the benefits?
As passenger numbers continue to grow and with an estimated 400 million more rail journeys to be made by 2020, it is important that we continue to upgrade the railway to enable us to meet passenger demand and run a reliable and punctual service.
The track renewal at Battersea Pier Junction will increase reliability to services.
What will this mean for passengers?
Platform 9 to 19 at London Victoria station will be closed over the Christmas and New Year period, whilst the work take place.
- There will be no Gatwick Express services.
- Trains to Gatwick will run from other central London stations, including Blackfriars and London Bridge.
- Most Southern services will divert to London Bridge.
- A limited Southern service will run to Clapham Junction. Buses will replace train services for local journeys between Clapham Junction and Victoria.
- All services at Clapham Junction are expected to be very busy. Please avoid travelling during peak hours.
- London Overground between Wandsworth Road and Denmark Hill will also close between Monday 24 and Thursday 27 December.
Please visit the following for more details. Revised train and bus times will be available nearer the time: