With railway from the borders of Scotland to the nation’s capital, Eastern region is critical to the success of Britain.
We are an incredibly busy region, operating some of the busiest and most congested rail lines in the country, transporting large numbers of commuters to and from busy cities including Newcastle, Leeds, Sheffield, Derby, Norwich, Cambridge and London.
Our region is also home to other major transport hubs including three airports and 13 freight ports. We connect millions of people every day to city, town, coast and country. We connect people to friends and family, jobs and leisure, as well as goods to businesses here and abroad.
Managing director, Eastern region
Eastern region in numbers
- More than a billion annual passenger journeys
- 3 managed stations: Leeds, King’s Cross and Liverpool Street
- 6,042 route miles (31.2% of national)
- 3,400 passenger services every day and 15 train operators
- 1,057,462 tonnes of freight moved a week with 1,742 freight movements – the highest of all regions
- 2,614 level crossings
- 9,278 bridges
- 9,262 signals