How this section of the East West Rail project will provide new journey opportunities between central, southern and western England
Development of this section – in two phases – will introduce direct rail passenger services between Bedford and Oxford, Milton Keynes and Oxford, and Milton Keynes and London Marylebone via Aylesbury.
Exciting new journey opportunities will include:
- Oxford and Milton Keynes, stopping at Oxford Parkway, Bicester, Winslow and Bletchley.
- Oxford and Bedford: stopping at Oxford Parkway, Bicester, Winslow, Bletchley, Woburn Sands and Ridgmont.
- Milton Keynes to Aylesbury with stops anticipated at Aylesbury Vale Parkway, Bletchley and Winslow. For London Marylebone passengers can travel from Aylesbury via the Amersham or High Wycombe route.
Western Section Phase 1
This phase completed in December 2016 and upgraded the rail connection between Oxford and Bicester. The first new section of railway, connecting Oxford Parkway and Bicester, opened in October 2015, with the section linking Oxford and Oxford Parkway completing in December 2016.
The project is part of the Chiltern Railways scheme to provide more choice for passengers wanting to travel from Oxford to London by introducing a new service between Oxford and London Marylebone.
Noise and vibration reports for phase 1
Western Section Phase 2
Phase 2 of the Western Section will upgrade and reconstruct existing and mothballed (no longer in use) sections of line that link Bedford with Bicester, and Milton Keynes with Princes Risborough. This phase is being funded by the Department for Transport with a contribution from the East West Rail Consortium.
This improvement project will mean that passengers and freight services can make the journey between Bedford on the Midland Mainline and Bicester on the Chiltern Mainline without needing to travel via London. It will also link Milton Keynes on the West Coast Mainline with London Marylebone on the Chiltern Mainline via Aylesbury.
The first public consultation for the Western Section Phase 2 took place in September and October 2015 with a second round of public consultation taking place from 30 June – 11 August 2017. This was open to all and invited people to view, discuss and give feedback on our plans.
Since the second round of consultation we have made some changes to the scope and delivery of the scheme in some areas, and will be holding a third round of public consultation to share these updates. The third round of consultation will take place from 12 January – 9 February 2018.
We will be holding a number of public events in areas where the project has changed the greatest to give local communities and local residents a chance to view our plans and talk to members of the project team about these changes. The project team will be available at all events to answer any queries.
All documents will be available on line from 12 January until 9 February 2018 and paper copies of these will be available at the following locations:
- Aylesbury Study Centre, New County Hall, Walton Street, Aylesbury, HP20 1UU
- Bicester Library, Franklins House, Wesley Lane, Bicester, OX26 6JU
- Bletchley and Fenny Stratford Town Council, 76 Queensway, Bletchley, MK2 2SA
- Ridgmont Station Heritage Centre, Station Road, Ridgmont, MK43 OXP
- Winslow Community Library, Park Road, Winslow, ML18 3DL
Take part in the round three consultation by visiting the Consultation Hub below.