It also describes how long that information will be held and the circumstances in which we might disclose it to a third party.
In order to provide the recruitment service, we have contracts with a number of third-party service providers who provide administrative services that ensure the efficient day-to-day operation of our recruitment and selection process.
For the purpose of the Data Protection Act 1998 (the Act), the data controller is Network Rail Infrastructure Limited.
Information we may collect
We may collect and process the following information about you:
- Information that you provide by entering your details on our site www.networkrail.co.uk (including sub-domains and any related websites) (our site); this includes information provided at the time of registering to use our site, subscribing to our service, posting material, requesting further services or leaving comments or complaints; we may also ask you for information when you report a problem to us.
- If you contact us, we may keep a record of that correspondence.
- We may also ask you to complete surveys that we use for research purposes, although you do not have to respond to them.
- Details of your visits to our site including but not limited to traffic data, location data, weblogs and other communication data and the resources that you access.
- From time-to-time Network Rail may publish vouchers on our site from third party retailers offering special offers or discounts on their goods or services. In order to obtain the vouchers you will have to register your details. Except as set out here we will not pass your personal information to any third parties, including the retailers providing these vouchers, without your consent.
- We may collect information about your computer including where available your IP address, operating system and browser type, for system administration to assist continuous improvement of our site. This is statistical data about our users’ browsing actions and patterns and does not identify any individual.
In relation to our recruitment service we may collect:
- Name, address, date of birth, telephone number, email address, gender.
- Employment history, other relevant experience, achievements, skills and qualifications.
- Equalities monitoring information (if required).
- The outcome and results of any interviews or tests that form part of the recruitment process.
- Employment references and the results of any pre-employment screening.
- Any other additional information provided by you in the context of the recruitment and selection process (eg a completed health questionnaire, proof of your right to work in the UK, etc).
If you are aged 16 or under, please get your parent or guardian’s permission before you provide any personal information to us. Users without this consent are not allowed to provide us with personal information.
How we use personal information
Network Rail and our service providers may use your personal information in the following ways:
- To ensure that content from our site is presented in the most effective manner for you and for your computer.
- To provide you with details of products or services that you request from us or which we feel may interest you where you have consented to be contacted for such purposes.
- To allow you to participate in interactive features of our service when you choose to do so.
- To notify you about changes to our service.
- To evaluate your application and assess your suitability for the role you have applied for.
- To make a decision about whether you should be selected for interview and/or appointment.
- To conduct relevant pre-employment screening (e.g. verify your address, academic qualifications and work experience; carry out appropriate credit reference and criminal record checks, depending on the role).
- To check publicly available sources such as LinkedIn or similar sites for information to validate your skills, experience or qualifications.
- To review and audit the recruitment process and its outcomes.
- To Carry out equalities monitoring activities.
- With your consent, to identify any future employment opportunities which may be of interest to you.
Information supplied for recruitment purposes will only be accessed and processed by authorised personnel (ie recruiting line manager, HR professionals and occupational health professionals), who are directly involved in the management and administration of the recruitment process and have a legitimate need to access your personal information.
If your application for employment is successful, we will use your personal information to manage and administer its employment relationship with you. If your application is unsuccessful, we will retain your personal information (CV, personal details, interview and assessment notes, test results and copies of ID) for 3 months from the date you are informed you were unsuccessful. Your registration details will be deleted if your account remains inactive for a period of 12 months
If you have given us permission to do so, we may also include your details in our ‘talent pool’ so that we can contact you about future employment opportunities which may be of interest to you.
How we store your personal information
These countries may not have the same data protection laws as those within the EEA, however, where such transfers do occur we will take the necessary steps to safeguard the security and integrity of your information and ensure it is processed to a standard commensurate with the requirements within these jurisdictions.
All information you provide to us via our site is stored on our secure servers. Where we have given you (or where you have chosen) a password which enables you to access certain parts of our site, you are responsible for keeping this password confidential. We ask you not to share a password with anyone.
Unfortunately the transmission of information via the internet is not completely secure. Although we will do our best to protect your personal information we cannot guarantee the security of your personal information transmitted to our site; any transmission is at your own risk. Once we have received your personal information we will use strict procedures and security features to try to prevent unauthorised access.
Access to systems that hold recruitment related information is restricted to authorised personnel through the use of unique identifiers and passwords. Your information is stored on systems that are protected by secure network architectures and are backed-up on a regular basis for disaster recovery and business continuity purposes and to avoid the risk of inadvertent erasure or destruction.
Disclosure of your personal information
We may disclose your personal information to any member of our group, which means our subsidiaries, our ultimate holding company and its subsidiaries (as defined in section 1159 of the UK Companies Act 2006) and third party service providers.
Our third party service providers will process your information in accordance with our instructions and make decisions regarding the information as part of the delivery of their services. They are also required to put in place appropriate security measures that ensure an adequate level of protection for personal information.
We may disclose your personal information to third parties in the following circumstances:
- In the event that we sell or buy any business or assets, in which case we may disclose your personal information to the prospective seller or buyer of such business or assets.
- If Network Rail Infrastructure Limited or substantially all of its assets are acquired by a third party, in which case personal information held by it about its users will be one of the transferred assets.
- If we are under a duty to disclose or share your personal information in order to comply with any legal obligation, or in order to enforce or apply our terms of website use and other agreements; or to protect the rights, property, or safety of Network Rail Infrastructure Limited and/or any of its group companies, our users, or others. This includes exchanging information with other companies and organisations for the purposes of fraud protection.
- We may, in certain circumstances, disclose applicant personal information to the police (and other law enforcement agencies), if they are necessary for the prevention or detection of crime and/or the apprehension or prosecution of offenders. Each police disclosure request will be dealt with on a strict case by case basis to ensure that any such disclosure is lawful and proportionate.
- We may also disclose applicant information to other third parties in order to defend our legal rights or in an emergency where the health or personal security of an applicant is at risk.
We may also use your personal information, or permit selected third parties to use your personal information, to provide you with details about goods and services which may be of interest to you and we or they may contact you about these by post or telephone, email or other electronic means. We will only do this in circumstances where you have explicitly consented to the use of your personal information in this way.
You can find more information about the cookies used on our site and the reasons why in the tables below.
When you visit our site you will be asked whether you wish to accept or reject cookies on your device. You will still be able to use our site if you reject them, but some personalisation features used on the station departure boards, or when searching for jobs, will not be available.
Four of the cookies we use (marked with an asterisk in the table below) are essential to the operation of our site (and are thus classed as non-intrusive “Level 0” cookies) and will be served to your device irrespective of whether you accept or reject cookies when you are asked by our site.
Should you wish, you can reject cookies completely by changing the settings of your browser. If you do this, however, you may not be able to access all or parts of our site. To learn more about cookies and how to manage them, visit the All About Cookies site.
|ASP.Net_SessionId *||This cookie is the default one used by asp.net to uniquely identify the user’s session on the site and relates the visitor’s unique session to server side data.||When you close your browser.|
|NR-BETA *||This cookie is used by our server infrastructure to maintain a consistent connection between your browser and a particular web server.||When you close your browser.|
|lastClickedId *||Navigation cookie set by Network Rail during browsing of the website. The cookie tracks the user’s page request sequence and displays navigation path followed on screen.||1 year|
|NetworkRailCookieState *||This cookie records your decision whether to accept or reject cookies on your first visit to our site. It is used to determine whether further cookies are set.||If rejected, when you close your browser. If accepted, 1 year.|
|MajorIncidentPublishing||This cookie records whether the user has seen the major incident announcement (if active).||300 days|
|STNdb-info-prompt||This cookie is used to ensure that the “Type in your destination” prompt on the station departure boards does not reappear after the user has typed in said box.||1 year|
|ecm||This cookie is used by Ektron, the content management system which powers our website. It is used to store (anonymous) information about the user including language and site information.||When you close your browser|
|EkAnalytics||This cookie is used by Ektron, the content management system which powers our website. It is an anonymous user type identifier for an analytics feature.||1 year|
|EKTGUID||This cookie is used by Ektron, the content management system which powers our website. A unique identifier for the current user is generated for all and assigned at the time they first arrive on the site.||1 year|
|STNautorefresh||This cookie is set when to remember the user’s preference for auto-refresh when accessing a station departure board using a mobile device||10 days|
|STN_filterOptions||This cookie is used to remember the station name typed by the user in the station departure board. During subsequent visits to the page the cookie is used to pre-populate the box with the last station the user typed, without the user having to re-type.||1 year|
|STNSelectedNextTrainToStation||This cookie is set to remember the user’s next train preference when the user accesses a station page using a mobile device.||When you close your browser|
|JobSearchCriteria||This cookie is set to remember the user’s job search parameters entered by the user when conducting a job search.||30 days|
Third party cookies
We use popular sites like Facebook, Twitter and YouTube to originate or syndicate some of our content. As a result, if you visit one of our pages on these sites, or a page on our site which has content embedded from them, you may be presented with their cookies. We do not control these cookies. You should check the relevant site for more information about the cookies placed on external third party sites.
We use Google Analytics to collect information about how people use our site. We do this to make sure that it is meeting our users’ needs and to enable us to improve the site as a result.
|_utma||This cookie tracks whether a visitor is new or returning, to determine unique visitor levels.||2 years|
|_utmb||This cookie is a randomly-generated number, to determine and track user sessions.||30 minutes|
|_utmc||This cookie works with the _utmb cookie to manage the user’s browser session.||When you close your browser|
|_utmv||This cookie is a randomly-generated number which tracks user’s journey on the website.||2 years|
|__utmmobile||This cookie is only created by the Google Analytics mobile tracking SDK. It stores an ID generated by MD5 hashing several possible values, and then returning a substring of the result prefixed with ‘0x’ – this serves as a unique visitor ID.||2 years|
|_utmz||This cookie is a randomly-generated number and information on how the site was reached (eg direct or via a link, organic or paid search). This cookie is updated every time the user visits the site.||6 months|
|NR_PROPERTY_SHORTLIST||This cookie is used by the shortlist template to remember your shortlist between visits. It is only used if a shortlist is used.||30 days|
|ys-username||This cookie remembers the username entered in the content management system between sessions (but it does not remember the password).||30 days|
We use the Oracle iRecruitment application to manage job applications. Users can log into our this system, apply for jobs and track the progress of any application they make.
|oracle.uix||This is a small, encrypted cookie that stores the user’s accessibility mode (screen reader setting) and the time zone on the user’s device.||When you close your browser.|
|ebusprod||This is a session cookie.||When you close your browser.|
|JServSession||This is a session cookie.||When you close your browser.|
|EXTERP||This cookie is set for all external users accessing the recruitment application from outside the Network Rail IT network.||When you close your browser.|
Links to other websites
Our website may contain links to other third party websites which may be of interest to you. If you follow a link to any of these websites, please note that these websites have their own privacy policies and that we do not accept any responsibility or liability for these policies. Please check these policies before you submit any personal information to these websites.
How can you control your personal information or ask us to remove it?
You may choose to restrict the amount or use of your personal information in the following ways:
- Whenever you are asked to fill in a form on the website you may be invited to indicate whether you want your personal information to be used for direct marketing purposes. By opting for it not to be used for direct marketing purposes, you are restricting our use. If you are not asked, we will not use your personal information for direct marketing purposes.
- If you have previously agreed that you would like us to use your personal information for direct marketing purposes, you may change your mind at any time by writing to or emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Proof of identity will be required.
If you believe that any information we are holding on you is incorrect or incomplete, or would like us to remove the details we hold about you, please write to or email us as soon as possible. We will promptly make the changes. Proof of identity will be required.
The Act gives you the right to access information held about you. Your right of access can be exercised in accordance with the Act. Any access request may be subject to a fee of £10 to meet our costs in providing you with details of the information we hold about you.
Access to personal information
Where you have applied for a job or attended an interview, if you wish to access your personal information you can do this by contacting:
Network Rail HR Shared Service Centre
HRSS Helpdesk Floor 2
Square One, 4 Travis Street
Or email: HRSS.email@example.com
If you have registered for our recruitment service, if there is ever a substantial change to how we use information you provide and the new uses are unrelated to uses we disclose in this policy, we will communicate the changes in advance.