RIDC Melton provides a safe environment for testing new and modified rolling stock, plant, on-track machines, infrastructure, equipment and technology
Our RIDC site at Melton, Leicestershire, has been purpose-built to support both high and low speed testing of vehicles and infrastructure using 11 miles of 25kV overhead line equipment and 3rd/4th rail DC equipment.
Our Melton facility provides two separate test tracks: a high-speed facility between Melton Junction and Edwalton, incorporating 13 miles of track up to 125mph – 11 miles of this with overhead line equipment – and a slow-speed test track from Old Dalby to Stanton Tunnel, with four miles of track up to 60mph.
RIDC Melton can offer:
- three workshop roads
- one fully pitted road
- lifting and jacking facility
- 415V shore supply
- 3rd/4th rail DC equipment
- dedicated office space for 40 people
- ability to change infrastructure characteristics.
RIDC Melton is suitable for the following types of testing:
- Technical Specification for Interoperability (TSI) high-speed noise compliance
- maximum over cant deficiency
- electromagnetic compatibility (EMC)
- brake performance
- wheel slide protection (WSP)
- single/dual pantograph
- coupling compatibility
- rescue and recovery
- surge pressure in tunnels
- low adhesion
- new technology trials and demonstrators.
This document (PDF) provides information on the various testing that can be undertaken at RIDC Melton. To ask about testing at RIDC Melton, please complete this form and email it to RIDC@networkrail.co.uk.
RIDC Melton is at Melton Commercial Park, three miles from Melton Mowbray station, and is accessed off the Leicester to Peterborough line.
Unit F, Melton Commercial Park