The railway is at the heart of a successful Britain
It connects people – with friends and family, and with jobs, underpinning a thriving economy.
It’s our role at Network Rail to provide the best possible service to everyone who relies on the railway – passengers, the train and freight operating companies and businesses nationwide.
For us, this means delivering a safer, more reliable railway, with greater capacity and efficiency than ever before. A railway that connects more people to more places, safely and quickly, and a solid, future-proof foundation for continued growth in the British economy.
Delivering our vision
- Our plans for rail in Britain are far-reaching and ambitious – find out about our Railway Upgrade Plan.
- We’re working hand in hand with our partners across the rail industry – to deliver a railway that benefits everyone.
- We never compromise our focus on safety – it’s a core part of our vision and how we operate every day.
- We have a strong focus on customers – Delivering for our customers is our transformation plan to ensure they’re at the heart of everything we do.
What we do
When people hear the name ‘Network Rail’ they often think of trains – but we own, operate and develop Britain’s railway – 20,000 miles of track, 30,000 bridges, tunnels and viaducts and thousands of signals, level crossings and stations.
We’re also responsible for devising the national rail timetable.
What we don't do
- We don’t own or run passenger trains – this is the remit of train operating companies.
- We don’t own or run freight trains – this is the remit of freight operating companies.
- We don’t set ticket prices – this is also done by the train operating companies, subject to government policy on regulated fares such as season tickets.