Out celebrating? Please take extra care on your way home and get home safe
Heading out with the lads to watch the footie? Looking forward to letting your hair down with work colleagues at your Christmas party? Whatever your cause for celebration this winter we want you to get home safe.
Whilst most alcohol related incidents tend to happen in stations, it’s important that people take care on any part of the railway. The types of incidents we see where alcohol has been involved tend to include:
- slips, trips and falls in stations
- risk taking at level crossings by drivers or pedestrians jumping or weaving barriers
- trespassing and running across the track.
In recent years we’ve seen that a quarter of alcohol related incidents that happen, take place across November and December. So, if you are out having a few drinks this winter we’re asking you to take extra care on your way home. Things you can do to stay safe include:
- Standing back from the platform edge, behind the yellow line
- Holding the handrail and taking your time on stairs and escalators
- Walking – not running
- Staying off the railway tracks
- Using level crossings safely
- Speaking to staff if help is needed.