Our Operations and General Management scheme for graduates
Who you are
Do you have an interest in how Network Rail operates, how we work with train operating providers, freight users and passengers. Are you resourceful and comfortable managing your time to ensure that you get the job done? Are you a logical thinker who can find creative solutions to challenging problems. Can you demonstrate the leadership skills, drive and determination of a future senior leader.
If you can be flexible and are prepared to build relationships across the railway industry then this could be the stepping stone for your future career
How long is the scheme?
Where you’ll be based
Opportunities are available across Britain, at key locations these include:
- Milton Keynes
What you’ll be doing
The scheme is a mixture of formal training, learning experiences and placements:
- Learning experiences include job shadowing, visits, attendance at meetings, time spent with a mentor and observation/participation in work activities like interviewing, data analysis, planning and project management.
- Placements are a period of supervised work where you'll have the opportunity to experience working in/with a specific role or undertake a specific assignment. Typically, placements are for a minimum of 4 weeks.
There are mandatory elements of the programme and these include:
- Area visits in operational locations (i.e. signal boxes, control, stations, electrical control and maintenance depot).
- One placement in our Route functions.
- One central functions placement (i.e Safety, Route Services, Network Services and System Operator, Freight & National Passenger Operations, Digital Rail).
- An external placement with an external organisation, which interfaces with Network Rail.
- Learning weeks relating to the Level 4 Passenger Transport Operations Manager apprenticeship.
Outside of the mandatory elements graduates are expected to arrange other placements and/or learning experiences. This will support the completion of the level 4 Passenger Transport Operations Manager apprenticeship.
Hear from our recent graduate
2:2 in any degree subject
What opportunities are available at the end of the scheme?
Previous graduates have gone on to management roles in a number of functions, including Operations, Station Management, Safety and Performance.
Why you should choose this scheme
This programme is designed to give you a taste of the full spectrum of operational railway activities, either from a local or central perspective. Over 18 months, you will complete a series of placements, and learning experiences giving you real first-hand experience of how the railway is run as a business.
You will experience key customer and supplier relationships first hand, exploring our relationships with Train Operating Companies and Freight Operating Companies, and learning about the challenges we all face as we work together to provide excellent customer service. The scheme offers the opportunity to understand the 4 main areas in a route; the customer, operational overviews, business services and other activities. There is also the opportunity to complete a Level 4 Apprenticeship in Passenger Transport Operations Management as part of the scheme.
This scheme is now closed
To be notified when our schemes are live again, register your interest.