Our Network strategy, planning and analysis scheme for graduates
Who you are
You have an interest in the role the railway plays in economic growth of Britain and the challenge of balancing this with the needs of passengers and freight users. You’re able to think big about the future uses of the railway, whilst also having the analytical skills to interpret and explain both numerical and written information to support your conclusions. You’re able to communicate with a wide-range of stakeholders and have the potential to be a future leader of the rail industry.
How long is the scheme?
Where you’ll be based
Initially in London, but subsequent placements will be placed in Milton Keynes and in our regional offices across Britain.
What you’ll be doing
As part of our System Operator function, you’ll be involved in making the railway fit for future generations. You’ll undertake 3 month placements in a number of our specialisms including:
- Strategy and Planning – developing rail strategy, either at a regional level or across the UK wide rail network, to meet the changing needs of passenger and freight over the next 20-30 years.
- Capacity Allocation – looking at how capacity is allocated, how we can use the rail network in the most efficient way for passenger and freight users, supporting the introduction of significant changes, and having an overview of the production of the working timetable for England, Scotland & Wales.
- New Lines Integration – integrating new infrastructure and mega-projects with the existing mainline railway so that passenger and freight benefits can be realised.
- Economic Analysis – advising on the long term trends of rail travel at a national and regional level to generate future policy and strategy. Use these forecasts to develop business cases and assess the value for money of potential future rail improvements.
- Station Capacity Planning – identifying infrastructure and operational requirements at railway stations so enough space is provided for people to move around now and in the future. This is achieved using data analysis, modelling software and observing how people move at stations.
You will also get a chance to experience shorter placements in the rest of the company and throughout the industry.
2:2 in any degree subject
What opportunities are available at the end of the scheme?
We’ll support you in choosing a first specialism within System Operator, and develop you to be one of our future leaders.
During the scheme, you will have the opportunity to work towards a chartership in transport planning, with a chance to earn a valuable professional qualification later in your career.
Why you should choose this scheme
Over the course of the two years, you’ll be exposed to the strategic challenges facing Great Britain's rail industry. You’ll get a network-wide view of the railway, and an understanding of the various industry, including solving our greatest long-term challenges.-wide interfaces that Network Rail has
This scheme is now closed
To be notified when our schemes are live again, register your interest.