Your strategic thinking matters
If solving long-term challenges matters to you. You matter to us.
Our Network Strategy, Planning and Analysis Graduate Scheme offers the opportunity to tackle the major strategic challenges facing Great Britain’s rail industry. As you progress, you’ll get a bird’s eye view of the entire railway network, and a close understanding of the most pressing problems we face right now. And with regular coaching from experienced mentors, you’ll be supported to play an important role in finding the solutions that really matter.
- Your starting salary is £26,500
- The scheme lasts for two years.
- You’ll initially be based in London, but placements will be across our regional offices.
Who you are matters
We look for a genuine interest in the role railways play in Britain’s economic growth. And we want to see your passion for addressing the challenges that come with balancing these commercial factors against the needs of our customers. As a skilled analyst, you’ll be able to consider different ways to tackle big issues. And when it comes to presenting your solutions, it’s not just the numbers you’ll be able to produce to support your conclusions, but effective communication skills too. As a potential future rail industry leader, you’ll also be comfortable engaging with a wide range of internal and external stakeholders.
What you’ll be doing
Are you ready to ensure our railways are fit for future generations? Through a series of diverse three-month placements, you’ll develop skills in:
- Rail Strategy and Planning – Whether it’s regional or across the whole network, you’ll look at developing strategy to meet changing passenger and freight needs.
- Timetable planning – From capacity allocation, to ensuring efficiency for both passengers and freight, you’ll understand what goes into creating a timetable for the UK mainland.
- Planning and performance – Supporting the route-based planning and performance team, you’ll get to grips with how their work feeds into timetabling, track works planning, and monitoring train performance.
- Economic Analysis – You’ll advise on long-term rail travel trends at national and regional level, to generate future policy and strategy. These forecasts will form the basis of business cases assessing the value of potential rail improvements.
- Station Capacity Planning – Using data analysis, modelling software and observation, you’ll identify the structural and operational requirements of our railway stations.
The scheme also offers several shorter placements within the wider company, and throughout the industry, including the Department for Transport.
What you’ll get out of it
Over the first eighteen months you’ll explore a variety of experiences across the company, and we’ll support you to discover the area you wish to specialise in. During the following six months, we’ll focus on the specific skills you’ll require to secure your desired permanent role. And when it comes to the application process, we’ll provide plenty of guidance and support to ensure you make a great impression.
Your benefits matter
A £2,000 welcome bonus
28 days annual leave plus bank holidays
5 volunteer days to contribute to your favourite causes
Access to our employee assistance program
Up to 75% discount on rail and underground season tickets
Discounted online shopping
Healthcare club membership discount
Access to a range of pension and insurance schemes
Two weeks paid reserve leave for members of our Armed Forces community
The opportunities it leads to
If you choose to apply for this scheme, you’ll have the chance to earn a chartership in transport planning and strategic planning. We’ll also provide opportunities to earn further valuable professional qualifications as your career develops.
The entry requirements
You’ll need at least a 2:2 in any degree subject.
We matter to millions. You could too.
Applications are now closed
Due to the high interest in this programme, we have received enough applications for this intake . We will be accepting applications for our 2023 schemes in October 2022. To be the first to find out please register your interest below.
Discover a different scheme
If the Network Strategy, Planning and Analysis Graduate Scheme isn’t quite what you’re looking for, why not take a look at some of the other graduate schemes we have. You’ll find them here.