It’s nearly the festive season, which means Christmas parties and a sharp increase in alcohol-related incidents around the railway.
This year, in partnership with British Transport Police (BTP), we’re encouraging people to think about unsafe behaviour after a few drinks. It could lead to more than the usual drunken regrets.
Watch this video to see the potentially fatal consequences of dangerous behaviour near the railway:
We see a spike in such incidents near the railway each year, especially:
• slips trips and falls in stations
• risk taking at level crossings by drivers or pedestrians jumping or weaving the barrier
• taking short cuts across the track.
That's why we're advising passengers to stay safe by:
• Standing back from the platform edge, behind the yellow line
• Holding onto the handrail on stairs and escalators
• Walking – not running
• Staying off the railway tracks
• Using level crossings safely
• Speaking to staff if help is needed.