We will be carrying out improvement works across the railway between Friday 20 December and Thursday 2 January to provide better services for passengers.
A total of 20,560 railway staff will deliver 386 projects over the Christmas and New Year period. The railway is up to 50% quieter than usual over bank holidays, so doing work at this time of year minimises our impact on passengers.
The improvements will affect a small number of railway lines, although most will remain open as normal. We advise passengers on those routes to check before they travel during the festive period, especially if using services into and out of London Paddington.
For updates follow the hashtag #XmasRailWorks on Twitter.
Multiple major upgrade works at London King’s Cross
- This includes tunnel and structure work, drainage inspection and upgrading overhead line equipment, resulting in improved capacity, reliability and operational flexibility.
- The majority of these works will take place over Christmas Day and Boxing Day. On Friday 27 December, train operators will have limited access into King’s Cross at the start of service until 13:00, and they will be running a reduced timetable.
Upgrade works between London Paddington and Slough
- Track renewals, switches and crossings and overhead line works between London Paddington and Slough. This will mean no trains from London Paddington between Tuesday 24 – Friday 27 December, and a reduced timetable between Saturday 28 – Tuesday 31 December.
Switches and crossings renewal works at Ashford International
- Switches and crossings renewal works at Ashford International to improve track quality and reduce delays caused by track faults. This means Southeastern Highspeed and Eurostar services will not stop at Ashford between Thursday 26 – Sunday 29 December. Mainline services will run but some will be subject to change.
Track work between London Liverpool Street and Hackney Downs
- Re-railing and track maintenance work between London Liverpool Street and Hackney Downs to improve service reliability.
- On Thursday 26 December Stansted Airport services will start and terminate at Tottenham Hale.
- Greater Anglia and Arriva Rail London services will run between Friday 27 – Sunday 29 December but will divert around the works on the fast lines.