We're modernising the Great Western route to bring passengers faster, more frequent, more reliable services.
This page explains the work we'll be doing in South Gloucestershire and when it's due to take place.
Important information – COVID-19
All planned work is being reassessed and reviewed as the we go through the current pandemic. Essential maintenance projects are being prioritised and keeping our workers and local communities safe is of paramount importance. We are following Government guidelines to prevent the spread of the virus.
Gipsy Patch Lane bridge
We’re working on behalf of South Gloucestershire Council to replace the railway bridge on Gipsy Patch Lane as part of the council’s Cribbs Patchway metrobus extension project.
The new bridge has been successfully constructed at an adjacent compound and the foundations completed.
Following the postponement of the bridge installation at Easter as a result of the Coronavirus crisis, this is now planned to take place 24 October – 7 November.
With up to 150 skilled staff needed on site at any one time, the project has been carefully replanned to comply with government guidance; particularly with regard to social distancing between workers. Additional time has been allocated to tasks where required and a range of measures are being put in place to manage the issue.
- Trains will continue to run between Bristol Parkway and London Paddington.
- London Paddington to South Wales – trains will use an alternate route between Swindon and Newport, not calling at Bristol Parkway.
- Bristol Parkway to South Wales – buses replace trains between Bristol Parkway and Newport.
- Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central – trains terminate at Bristol Parkway; connecting coaches replace trains to Newport for onward connections to Cardiff Central.
- Taunton to Cardiff Central – trains will terminate at Bristol Temple Meads; change at Bristol Temple Meads for trains to Bristol Parkway.
- Services will also be amended between Bristol Temple Meads, Severn Beach and Bristol Parkway on the weekend of 24 and 25 October.
Further details about the project can be found at www.southglos.gov.uk/CPmetrobus
Ableton Lane points renewal
In April we successfully renewed a set of points between Pilning station and the Severn Tunnel. Points allow trains to move from one set of tracks to another.
Fortunately we were able to go ahead with our plans for this project and delivered it safely in line with government guidelines on COVID-19.
Large sections of track were delivered to our compound at Pilning station ahead of the work and then from Saturday 11 to Monday 20 April we removed the old track and ballast and replaced with new. Follow up work was completed as planned during May and June.
Patchway station and Cattybrook footbridges
Patchway Station footbridge was constructed during Easter 2019, with lift shafts completed by the end of the year. Issues with external suppliers, third party contractors and then COVID-19 has held up bringing the lifts into use but this is now close to completion.
Cattybrook footbridge near Ibstock brick works in Almondsbury was completed and opened to the public on 16 March.
Minor snagging work, including painting, installation of fencing and the replanting of shrubs was held up by the current pandemic but has now been completed and we have moved off site.