Between Saturday 15 and Sunday 23 January 2022 we will be returning to Portsmouth to continue our work improving the railway.
In January 2021 we carried out essential maintenance in Portsmouth to improve the reliability of the railway. Works included:
- Replacing Cow Lane bridge in Cosham
- Strengthening 10 of the 17 spans of Landport Viaduct at Portsmouth & Southsea station
- Renewing track and switches and crossings
Our work in January 2022 will finish strengthening Landport Viaduct, allowing trains to continue running at full line speed and keeping them on time.
- On Saturday 15 and Saturday 22 January trains will terminate at Portsmouth & Southsea. The Southampton stopping service will terminate at Fratton, the London Waterloo to Portsmouth service via Eastleigh will start from Basingstoke and terminate at Fratton. Services between Portsmouth & Southsea via Guilford to London Waterloo will be diverted via Chertsey with journeys taking longer than normal.
- On Sunday 16 January trains will terminate at Fratton or Portsmouth & Southsea. Services between Portsmouth & Southsea via Guilford to London Waterloo will be diverted via Chertsey with journeys taking longer than normal.
- On Sunday 23 January trains will terminate at Havant and Fareham. Services between Portsmouth & Southsea via Guilford to London Waterloo will be diverted via Chertsey with journeys taking longer than normal.
Rail replacement bus services will operate where lines are closed, while other train services during our work will run on an amended timetable. Passengers are reminded to check before they travel during the closure.
More information can be found on South Western Railway’s website.
What the work will involve
Over 9 days our engineers will carry out:
- Strengthening work on Landport Viaduct’s remaining seven spans
- Track maintenance
- Tamping – which restores the line and level of the track
- Switches and crossings renewal work – improving the moveable sections of the track that guide trains from one track to another and allows them to cross paths
- Inspection and maintenance of railway structures
- Litter and graffiti clearance along the line
Please follow our Twitter for more information on this work and for updates on our work across the Wessex route.
For more information or to get in touch with us, please contact us by visiting our contact us page or by calling our 24-hour national helpline on 03457 11 41 41