As part of our Railway Upgrade Plan, we successfully upgraded Whittington level crossing over the summer.
The crossing is located in the village of Whittington, where the A495 crosses the railway line connecting Shrewsbury and Gobowen. The road was closed from Friday 30 August to Monday 9 September, when the road was reopened upon completion of the upgrade work.
The works included:
- Removing the existing level crossing and road surface
- Excavating foundations to one metre deep
- Pouring concrete into new foundations
- Applying new rubber panels
- Reinstatement of road surface
- Applying road markings
The road was closed for nine days and a diversionary route was developed with Shropshire Council. Traffic was diverted via the B5009 south to Wootton. Pedestrian access was maintained when our engineers were not actively working on the crossing.
For more information, please see our FAQs.