Over the Christmas and New Year period 2019-20, we will be carrying out improvements at the east end of Newport station.
This work will improve the resilience and reliability of the railway by improving the flexibility of train movements in and out of Newport station.
The work involves replacing significant track and completely renewing the switches and crossings at the east end of Newport station; replacing the surface edges of platforms two, three and four and making some adjustments to the OLE in this area.
The work consists of:
- Cutting up and removing old track.
- Digging out a layer of the old ballast (the stones that keep the track stable).
- Laying new track, with some sections lifted in by crane.
- Laying additional ballast and packing it under the track, using a train known as a tamper.
- Follow-up work in January and February to ensure the new track is correctly aligned.
- Adjusting the platform edges and some resurfacing work.
- Adjusting the OLE to ensure it aligns with the new track.
The work will take place from 22.10 on Tuesday 24 December 2019 to 04.00 on Thursday 2 January 2020.
Want to find out more?
We will be hosting a drop-in event on Tuesday 26 November, between 3.30pm and 6.30pm, in the rear entrance of Newport station (Godfrey Road side).
Members of the project team, as well as representatives from Transport for Wales and Great Western Railway, will be on hand to answer any questions – no appointment is necessary.
Over the weekend of 23-24 November 2019 and throughout the week commencing Monday 25 November, materials will be delivered to the site compound at Maindee Triangle. Deliveries will arrive on lorries by road and be lifted by crane onto the sidings near Tregare Street for temporary storage. This site storage area will be in use throughout the entire period.
Follow up work
Follow up work is planned to take place on the following weekends: 18-19 January, 1-2 February and 28-29 March when further tamping work will take place – compressing the ballast in the railway.
What about changes to passenger services?
Over the Christmas and New Year period, there will be changes to rail services:
- On Wednesday 25 and Thursday 26 December 2019, there will be no rail services running.
- From Friday 27 to Monday 30 December 2019, buses will replace trains between Bridgend and Cwmbran/Ebbw Vale/Chepstow and Bristol Parkway.
- From Tuesday 31 December 2019 to Wednesday 1 January 2020, buses will replace trains between Cardiff Central and Cwmbran/Ebbw vale/Chepstow and Bristol Parkway.
We advise all passengers to check National Rail Enquiries before travelling.
Why is this work planned to take place over Christmas?
The railway is up to 50% quieter over bank holidays, which is why we plan to carry out large engineering work during these times.
We thank you for bearing with us during this time.