We're replacing old signalling between Lewes and Seaford with more reliable technology to reduce delays for passengers.
This is part of our ongoing investment to improve the railway on the south coast.
The signal boxes at Lewes, Newhaven Town and Newhaven Harbour will close and the signalling control of the line move to our state-of-the-art route operating centre at Three Bridges.
The project will be replacing old signalling equipment and replacing it with more modern, more reliable technology, which means there will be fewer delays for passengers in this area.
As we now complete the work on the signalling upgrade in the Lewes area, the line will be closed:
- Sunday 15 September
- Thursday 28 November – Sunday 01 December 2019
Please contact your train operator for more information or visit National Rail Enquiries.
Newhaven Harbour level crossing closure
This level crossing will permanently close from Sunday 25 August 2019. An alternative route is available via the Newhaven Harbour station footbridge. Passengers with reduced mobility requiring step free access should use Newhaven Town Station.
For further information please contact: Network Rail Helpline 03457 11 41 41 or Southern Assisted Travel on 0800 138 1016.
Sign-up for email updates
Sign-up with your email address to receive updates on the Lewes resignalling project and information on projects taking place across the Southern region.
Our privacy notice applies to the personal information that Network Rail collects about you, or that you provide to us. It explains how and why we use your personal information, who we disclose it to and how we protect your privacy.
Work completed between 7-10 March 2019
- All construction works are now complete, in readiness for the new system being switched on.
- Four new signals were installed in the Lewes area.
- All other signals are in location, ready for final commissioning.
- Reinstatement of the Cooksbridge Level Crossing.
- A full track renewal at Bishopstone.
- Conductor rail renewal at Newhaven Harbour.
- Access works at Cuckmere River Bridge.
- Removal of wet beds around Southease using our Force One machine.
- Re-railing around the whole Glynde area.
- Station improvement works at Bishopstone, Falmer, London Road, Lewes, Moulsecoomb, Newhaven Harbour, Newhaven Town, Seaford and Southease including deep cleaning, vegetation clearance to improve access and some roof works.
If you’re interested in finding out more about the Lewes to Seaford project, please contact us by visiting our contact us page or by calling our 24-hour national helpline on 03457 11 41 41.