We're completing major refurbishment to the Oxted Viaduct
What’s being done?
The Oxted Viaduct was constructed in 1881 and carries two railway lines over the A25 road and the River Eden on the line running from South Croydon to Uckfield. Like any structure of that age, it needs maintenance and servicing to ensure passengers and freight can continue to move safely over it long into the future.
Network Rail is working from summer 2020 to February 2022 to refurbish the 140-year-old landmark.
The scope of work includes:
- Steel work will be grit-blasted back to bare metal, treated and repainted.
- Brickwork repairs to piers, arches and bearing area.
- Repairs to the roller bearings that support the weight of the structure. These also allow the steel to move as it expands and contracts in the summer heat and the cold of the winter, without affecting the railway tracks laid on it.
- Replace existing timber walkway with new decking.
Oxted Viaduct is wrapped in plastic
Overhauling the viaduct is essential to the safe and efficient full speed running of the railway line. The work will ensure that we maintain a good level of service with more reliable journeys, for passengers who use this route.
Work has been taking place during closures of the railway during 2020 and throughout 2021 and will now continue into early 2022. The original programme has been subject to change due to delays caused by the pandemic but we are doing everything we can to keep to our revised schedule and minimise any passenger and highway disruption.
Detail of work taking place on the Oxted viaduct
- We have replaced 10 of the 12 bearings – eight on Pier 2 and two on the Oxted Abutment. The two remaining bearings will be replaced in Week 25 on 18-20 September 2021.
- Steelwork repairs and cleaning and painting are on-going.
- Brickwork repairs to the approach arches are completed and the scaffold has been removed.
Sign-up for updates
Sign-up with your email address to receive updates on the line closures affecting Oxted and information on projects taking place across the Southern region.
Our privacy notice applies to the personal information that Network Rail collects about you, or that you provide to us. It explains how and why we use your personal information, who we disclose it to and how we protect your privacy.
If you have any concerns about the work or have a specific question, please contact our community relations team on our 24-Hour Helpline: 03457 11 41 41 (quoting Oxted Viaduct renewal)