£2.6m investment to improve Balham station for passengers
What the work will involve and where
We’re investing £2.6m to reduce the gap between trains and platforms at Balham station, improving safety and reducing delays. Platforms will also be refurbished with new surfaces and drainage, and platform canopies repaired and repainted.
The work includes:
- Track realignment works to reduce the stepping distance between trains and platforms
- Platform coper replacement works, platform repairs, drainage improvements and resurfacing with new tactile paving
- New fencing at the London end of platforms
- Repairs to canopies, including new roof sheeting, guttering and re-decoration.
This investment will deliver:
Improved safety and reduced delays
- Work to reduce the stepping distance between trains and platforms will improve safety and support a more reliable train service by helping passengers get on and off trains more quickly.
- New tactile paving on platforms will improve accessibility for visually impaired passengers.
Improved journey experience
- Repaired canopies, platforms and a reduced stepping distance between platforms and trains will contribute towards giving passengers, more pleasant journeys.
- New fencing at the London end of the platforms will help deter trespass, improving safety and helping to reduce delays associated with trespass.
The project will be delivered between November 2020 and March 2021:
|Date||Work to be carried out|
|22:00, Friday 20 to Sunday 22 November 2020||Drainage works, canopy replacement works|
|22:00, Friday 12 to Sunday 14 February 2021||Coper replacements, platform repairs|
|22:00, Friday 20 to Sunday, 22 February 2021||Coper replacements, platform repairs, resurfacing|
|Sunday nights only from 8 November 2020 – 7 March 2021||Lane closure Station Road railway side|
|22:00, Friday 20 – 06:00, Monday 23 November 2020||Full closure of Station Road|
|22:00, Friday 12 – 06:00, Monday 15 February 2021||Full closure of Station Road|
|22:00, Friday 19 – 06:00, Monday 23 February 2021||Full closure of Station Road|
The work at Balham station will mean some disruption for passengers, but we will aim to keep any noise to an absolute minimum, though some disturbance may be unavoidable due to the nature of the work.
Delivering the highest standards of safety is paramount to our work and keeping people safe on and around the railway is at the heart of everything we do. Often, work needs to be carried out while trains are not running. We are obliged to work, whenever possible, at times that cause the least disruption to train services. Unfortunately, this means carrying out a lot of our improvements during the night at weekends.
Sign-up for updates
Sign-up with your email address to receive updates on the line closures affecting Balham station and information on projects taking place across the Southern region.
Our privacy notice applies to the personal information that Network Rail collects about you, or that you provide to us. It explains how and why we use your personal information, who we disclose it to and how we protect your privacy.