As part of our £1.25 billion investment on the Kent route, our engineers will be replacing track in the Tonbridge area across several weekends between January & May 2022.
There will be service changes on the Paddock Wood and Hastings lines on the weekends below.
- Saturday 16 and Sunday 17 April (Easter weekend): Replacement bus service between Tonbridge and Paddock Wood & between Tonbridge and Tunbridge Wells.
- Saturday 30 April to Monday 2 May (May Bank Holiday): Replacement bus service between Tonbridge and Paddock Wood & between Tonbridge and Wadhurst.
- Sunday 8 May: Replacement bus service between Sevenoaks and Paddock Wood & between Sevenoaks and Wadhurst.
- Saturday 21 May to Sunday 22 May: Replacement bus service between Tonbridge and Paddock Wood & between Tonbridge and Tunbridge Wells.
- Saturday 28 May to Sunday 29 May: Replacement bus service between Tonbridge and Paddock Wood & between Tonbridge and Tunbridge Wells.
For more information, visit Southeastern’s planned engineering work page.
What the work will involve
Our teams will be renewing the switches and crossings (the moveable sections of track that guide trains from one track to another and allow them to cross paths). They will also renew the rails, sleepers (wooden/concrete blocks that support the rails), and the stone ballast underneath.
During the dates listed above, passengers should check before they travel as there will be changes to services, with Southeastern running rail replacement buses on some routes.
The project will focus on replacing the switches and crossings as they have a limited lifespan due to trains causing wear and tear over the years when they travel across them. This essential work will help reduce the number of delays in the long term and improve reliability for passengers.
Sign-up for email updates
Sign-up with your email address to receive updates on the South East upgrade and information on projects taking place across the Southern region.
Our privacy notice applies to the personal information that Network Rail collects about you, or that you provide to us. It explains how and why we use your personal information, who we disclose it to and how we protect your privacy.
For more information, visit our South East Upgrade page, call our National Helpline on 03457 11 41 41 or contact us on Twitter @NetworkRailSE.