We’ve delivered £170m of improvements across the Upper Lee Valley to increase capacity on the West Anglia main line between Enfield and Stratford
Passengers will benefit from the start of a more frequent service between Meridian Water and Stratford from 9 September 2019 when additional Greater Anglia services are introduced onto the network.
Benefits at a glance
Click on the map to view a downloadable PDF showing the benefits we delivered across the Upper Lee Valley.
The Lee Valley Rail programme is a £170m investment for the West Anglia Main Line to increase capacity between London and Enfield.
Major works began in 2017 and were substantially completed in May 2019. A new station serving the Meridian Water development opened on Monday 3 June. Click here for our press release.
We built 5.5km of new track between Lea Bridge and Meridian Water stations to allow for an additional two services per hour, helping relieve congestion on this busy commuter route.
Additional services – provided by train operator Greater Anglia – will be introduced on 9 September 2019 and will see four trains an hour calling at Meridian Water during the peak (currently two trains an hour) plus the introduction of two trains an hour during off-peak hours (currently no services operate off-peak).
This project was part of our London Railway Upgrade Plan, creating new connections and increasing capacity in peak hour by 30 per cent.
The Lee Valley Rail Programme includes:
- 5.5km of new track to enable two more trains per hour to run between Stratford and the new Meridian Water station.
- A new station at Meridian Water to replace Angel Road station (now closed) to serve the 10,000 home Meridian Water development.
- Improvements at Tottenham Hale station including a new platform, lifts and a new accessible footbridge.
- An additional platform and new step-free footbridge at Northumberland Park station.
- Refurbished or replaced several bridges, upgraded signals, installed power cables and additional overhead power lines from Stratford to Meridian Water station.
Meridian Water – delivering a new station for Enfield
London’s newest station – Meridian Water – is now open. The station will be the catalyst for Enfield council’s vision to regenerate a vast industrial area into 10,000 new homes and nearly thousands of new jobs.
Watch the time-lapse below of the construction of Meridian Water station.
The time-lapse spans March 2018 to May 2019.