We are working in partnership with the Cambridgeshire and Peterborough Combined Authority (CPCA) to deliver a new station to serve the community of Soham in East Cambridgeshire
The CPCA is providing an £18.6m funding package for Network Rail to deliver a new railway station for the community. Reconnecting Soham to the rail network will be the realisation of a long campaign to rebuild the station which was closed in the 1960s.
A new station will provide residents and local businesses with better connections and support more investment as part of the Council’s vision for the wider area.
The new station at Soham will include:
- Construction of a single 99 metre platform to accommodate four car train services including waiting shelters, lighting, information screens and a public address system,
- Installation of a stepped footbridge across the railway to connect to an existing public right of way, designed for any future installation of lifts for a potential second platform for any scheme.
- Construction of a drop off point and a car park to accommodate 50 vehicles and five spaces for blue badge holders, as well as lighting masts.
- Cycle parking and ticket vending machines on the station forecourt.
On Friday 26 June 2020, East Cambridgeshire District Council granted its consent for Network Rail to build the station using permitted development rights.
The enabling works began autumn 2020 and the main construction phase will commence spring 2021.
Progress Update (March 2021)
As the work enters the main construction phase, engineers will need to work on or near the track to build the new platform and footbridge. Additional work also needs to take place including ground levelling and track alignment adjustment to make sure the gap between the platform and train meets the required industry standard.
This work needs to be carried out when trains are not running on the Soham branch line on the following dates in 2021:
- Saturday 12 and Sunday 13 June
- Sunday 20 June
- Sunday 29 and Monday 30 August
Greater Anglia will operate a bus replace service to allow passengers to complete their journey while we continue to build the new station at Soham.
Soham Animation and time-lapse videos
The animation above is a visualisation of what a new station at Soham could look like once completed.
Time-lapse video of Soham station construction work between January and April.
The Future for Soham Station
The CPCA’s vision for Soham is that the delivery of a new station will build a much stronger case for the reinstating of the Snailwell loop which could provide a direct service between Ely, Soham, Newmarket and Cambridge. This could be part of a future scheme.
Please visit our contact us page or call our national helpline on 03457 11 41 41.