Replacing the overhead wires between London Liverpool Street, Chelmsford and Southend Victoria.
Southend Victoria branch line
As part of our Railway Upgrade Plan, we are replacing the overhead wiring system on the Southend Victoria branch line as part of a £46m investment. The wiring system currently in place along the route was installed in the 1950s and needs replacing to prevent frequent failures that cause delays, in order to improve reliability of the rail service.
The replacement includes wires, structures, masts and steelwork.
The programme is a key part of transforming rail services for Southend passengers over the next two years. This means a bigger and better railway, including:
- fewer delays and cancellations – especially in hot weather
- allowing for more train services to support the growing number of passengers, new housing, and the local economy including the busy airport
- supporting the introduction of Greater Anglia’s new trains which will start to come into service from 2019 with fast, free wifi, air conditioning, and plug and USB sockets
In order to deliver these benefits quickly, we’re speeding up our programme by carrying out some of the work during the night. That means from Monday to Wednesday, late night services will be affected. Passengers are advised to check before they travel. A rail replacement bus service will operate.
This programme is currently scheduled to complete in December 2019, subject to obtaining necessary access.
Project in numbers
- Passengers make over 11 million entries and exits at stations on this line
- We are making a £46m investment
- Over 500 structures will be replaced
- We will install 128km overhead wire
Great Eastern Mainline
As part of our Railway Upgrade Plan, we are replacing the overhead wiring system on the Great Eastern main line between Chelmsford and London Liverpool Street as part of a £250m investment.
Over the last two years, we have completed the section between Chelmsford and Ilford. This programme is currently scheduled to complete in May 2019, subject to obtaining necessary access.
These projects are part of our London Railway Upgrade Plan, creating new connections and increasing capacity in peak hour by 30%
Contact us about our OLE renewals programme
If you’re interested in finding out more about our programme to replace overhead wires, please contact us by visiting our contact us page or by calling our 24-hour national helpline on 03457 11 41 41.