Network Rail engineers will be working through the night to fix the damage but services are likely to be disrupted tomorrow morning.
A spokesperson for Network Rail and South Western Railway said:
“We are very sorry for the disruption South Western Railway passengers are experiencing.
“A lineside fire this morning caused significant damage to some of the rail infrastructure in the Waterloo area, fully closing platforms 16 – 24.
“Trains will be delayed or cancelled until the end of service today and disruption is likely to impact services tomorrow morning.
“Passengers are strongly advised to check their journeys before travelling at www.southwesternrailway.com for ticket acceptance and service details.”
Customers delayed by 15 minutes or more may be entitled to compensation: https://www.southwesternrailway.com/contact-and-help/refunds-and-compensation/automated-delay-repay
The following service alterations will be in place this evening:
– All 'rounder' trains between London Waterloo and London Waterloo via Hounslow, Richmond, Strawberry Hill, and Kingston will be cancelled.
– All trains between London Waterloo and Windsor & Eton Riverside will be diverted via Kingston, with an additional call there. They will run as booked from Twickenham.
– Services on other routes may also be subject to short notice cancellations or delays
Ticket acceptance is in place on:
– London buses between London Waterloo and Staines via any reasonable route
– London Under / Overground via any reasonable route
– GWR services between London Paddington and Windsor / Reading
– Thameslink / Southern services between Wimbledon / Clapham Junction and Central London
– Reading 4/X4 and First in Berkshire & Thames Valley route 8 buses