Key workers including NHS staff can now park for free at several Network Rail stations across the west including at Bristol Temple Meads, Chippenham, Swindon, Reading and London Paddington.
Network Rail has waived the parking charges for all key workers from nurses and carers, to transport workers and supermarket employees as the country fights the outbreak of coronavirus.
Free parking at Swindon is in the North Star Street and Sheppard Street car parks and at Chippenham at Cocklebury Road.
In total 24 locations at Network Rail stations and car parks across the country will be free to park for key workers with the offer running initially until 30 April.
To access the free parking key workers need to download the APCOA Connect App and follow a set of simple instructions.
However, at Reading underground car park barriers will automatically open and therefore there is no need to use the app.
Mike Gallop, route director for Network Rail’s Western route, said: “We are so proud of all key workers as they go above and beyond to save lives during this crisis.
“This our way of trying to give something back and help all key workers who are putting in a huge effort during this challenging time.
“This is an evolving situation so we’ll keep the offer under review and may choose to extend it beyond 30 April.”
Meanwhile, people are reminded that with only essential travel being recommended during the coronavirus pandemic, a reduced timetable is operating on the rail network.
This will ensure that critical supplies and key workers, like carers and NHS staff, are able to keep moving over the coming months to help tackle the spread of coronavirus.
For more information on the free parking visit www.networkrail.co.uk/parking
How to access free parking:
To access free parking, key workers need to download the APCOA Connect App, and follow the steps below.
Getting set up:
- Download the APCOA Connect app from your app store
- Create an account or sign in to your existing account
Once you're parked:
- Go into the app and select ‘Buy Parking’
- Search for ‘car park name – NHS’ (i.e. Paddington – NHS) and select for free parking at this location
- Select your vehicle by adding your vehicle registration mark (VRM)
- Select your parking duration and select ‘pay’. You can extend your session at any time.
- All tariffs are set to £0.00, but to ensure you do not get charged a 10p reminder fee, you must turn off all reminders in ‘Settings’ within the app.