FAQs – Easements, wayleaves and telecoms

Easements and wayleaves

Q. Your company needs to lay a drainage pipe across the railway: who do you contact first?

A. Contact our asset protection (ASPRO) team for your area.

Q. Why do you have to pay our clearance costs in advance?

A. We are responsible for the management of the operational railway infrastructure. There are many stakeholders involved – people and companies that rely upon us to ensure that trains run safely, punctually and reliably. So if any proposed engineering works might affect the railway then we have to carry out a full consultation with all our stakeholders. This takes time and money but is an essential process.

Q. How much do we charge?

A. If you are a utility network operator requiring a utility network wayleave, we already have an agreed arrangement for payment, which your company knows about.

If you are a commercial company or organisation requiring an easement for business purposes, the cost will depend upon the circumstances. When we have all the details and clearance has been approved, we carry out a professional valuation and then discuss this and other terms of the necessary easement agreement.

Q. Why do you need separate agreements from our property and engineering organisations?

A. A wayleave or easement agreement provides the legal right for another party to lay and maintain facilities (pipes, cables etc) on our land. This can stay in place for a fixed term or for as long as the facilities need to remain in place.

Because of the need for careful planning, design and safety supervision, our engineers often require the applicant to complete a basic asset protection agreement (BAPA) that ensures all design, engineering and safety aspects are in place before any works can start.

Q. Which agreement do you need first: an easement or a BAPA?

A. To deal with proposals as efficiently as possible, both the easement (property) and engineering (BAPA) arrangements can be processed in parallel. It is usual for the easement to be completed first, once the planned works start date is known.


Q. Can you share fibres on our infrastructure?

A. Not currently.

Q. Do you need to consult Railsite before putting up a lineside mast?

A. No, Railsite no longer has rights to install masts on our estate.

Q. Can you explain the process for applying for wayleaves to provide a station tenant with a fibre connection?

A. Please refer to our guidance notes.

Q. What are the rent levels for UTXs?

A. A commercial evaluation will be carried out for each new application. Rents will be at open market levels.

Q. Can you use our troughing route to lay your own cables?

A. In most instances, yes, but subject to sufficient availability.

Q. Do we have a rate card for wireless installations?

A. No, generally a commercial evaluation will be carried out for each new application.

Q. What are the safe distances for working on the railway?

A. There is no generic guidance on this issue. You are advised to contact our asset protection engineers in the first instance to discuss your requirements in more detail.