We have documented supplier performance procedures to support our suppliers in providing an effective service
PRISM is the tool we use to assess the performance of suppliers in enabling them to carry out their contract. We also use PRISM to assess our own performance.
PRISM tool (xls)
PRISM scoring criteria (xls)
It was developed in conjunction with the rail industry supply chain and various in-house functions to drive a culture of continuous performance improvement.
The PRISM process enhances existing project management meetings (for example, progress meetings) rather than adding additional requirements. It requires project managers to document discussions that should already be happening.
Who should complete PRISM forms?
Project managers and scheme project managers who manage and deal directly with suppliers on projects should complete these forms. These people are best placed to give an objective and evidence-based view of performance on a contract.
Which contracts require a PRISM form?
The PRISM performance improvement tool should be used on all project contracts that are:
- above £50k in value
- longer than three periods in duration.
The PRISM process
1. Contract kick-off meeting
This enables the supplier and our project manager to agree the behavioural values applicable for future reference and a timetable of progress meetings that will incorporate PRISM reviews.
2. Project managers’ bi-period performance progress meeting
These meetings can be held once per period (if required) and are run as follows:
- Review and agreement with the supplier of the PRISM performance scores and associated commentary, taking into account the scoring definitions for both parties and capture within the PRISM performance tool.
- Discussion of areas for improvement and tracking of progress against any actions, as part of the normal project management process where appropriate.
- Both parties to sign a printed copy of the scorecard.
- Our project manager should then forward the Excel PRISM scorecard and a scan of the countersigned paper scorecard to email@example.com
3. Data consolidation
Submissions to the PRISM mailbox are consolidated centrally once at the end of each period. Forms must be fully and correctly submitted by the Thursday of week four in each period.
4. Data reporting
- Supplier Engagement team will update a dashboard by supplier, category, region and project which will be available within Network Rail by the Thursday of week one.
- Supplier Engagement team will send suppliers a report of their latest PRISM returns by the Thursday of each week one; these reports will document the PRISM scores for Supplier Account Management (SAM) meetings.
- High performing / underperforming projects will be discussed at SAM meetings with the aim of improving the performance of current and future contracts.
If you have any questions, comments or would like a team briefing on the process, please email firstname.lastname@example.org