Find out more about proposals for a new railway sleeper factory in Sandwell
Local people are being invited to find out more about a proposed new railway sleeper factory in Bescot.
Network Rail has identified the railway sidings at Bescot as the preferred location for a new concrete sleeper factory. If approved, it will secure up to 100 jobs in the West Midlands and ensure Bescot remains a key location on the national railway map.
A public drop in event has been organised for Wednesday 10 January so local people can find out more and ask Network Rail questions about the plans.
It will take place between 6pm and 8pm at Friar Park Millennium Centre, Friar Park Road, Wednesbury, WS10 0JS.
Mike Black, supply chain services director for Network Rail, said; “We’re excited at the prospect of introducing sleeper manufacturing to this part of the West Midlands, rejuvenating the rail yard at Bescot and securing jobs in the area.
“Bescot is ideally placed at the heart of the rail network to provide sleepers across Britain. We’re keen to engage with the local community to keep them up to speed and listen to their views on our plans.”
Sleepers are a vital part of the railway and Network Rail’s Railway Upgrade Plan and, if approved, the new facility will produce up to 600,000 of them a year, accounting for 60% of Britain’s supply. Network Rail’s other factory in Doncaster will provide the remaining 40%.
As part of Network Rail’s ongoing commitment to be more efficient and cost-effective, the proposed site at Bescot will be directly connected to the rail network making it quicker and easier to transport the sleepers around Britain.